Sunday, December 02, 2007

HAPPY BIRTHDAY - SUZANNE




Today is Dec 2. It is my youngest daughter’s birthday. The photo above of the ‘hairy’ policeman and Suzanne was taken circa 1978. (I think long sideburns were in.) Suzanne is wearing my policeman’s hat, which was actually stolen from me when I was have my evening meal at Original Joe’s in San Jose, -but that’s another story.

Those of you who have read ‘La Nostra Costa” are already familiar with the following episode. However, Suzanne has never forgiven me for inserting her into the book as a mere endnote. Never mind that it was a rather extensive endnote (LNC: p.157). So, my dear baby girl, we will republish it here at the “Top of the Blagga”.

The endnote in question actually referred back to a childhood incident that occurred on the Gulch Ranch ‘su per la costa’ (LNC. p.151). As I relate in the book, I and a boyhood friend played a prank on my older brother and my friend’s older brother. We placed chopped garlic in their drinking glasses and then filled the glass prior to their sitting down at the noon day meal. When the two boys finally ‘hit bottom” and tasted the garlic they ‘exploded’ in anger. Before they could get to us, we were saved by our mothers’ who ‘exploded’ in laughter. It was a great ‘gotcha’ prank and a lot of fun. The endnote as it pertains to Suzanne follows.

*Not so much fun some years later, when my daughter Suzanne, then about six years old, turned the table on me, so to speak. Apparently she had gotten this idea from watching cartoons on television. As I was working at my desk at home, she came in and served an orange liquid in a tall glass. Not paying much attention and thinking that it was fresh juice, I took a big swallow, only to realize, too late, that it was liquid soap. I didn’t blow bubbles as she had anticipated, but I think I did foam a bit at the mouth. Suzanne broke out laughing. On the other hand, I didn’t do much laughing as I chased her around the house. Now I knew how the two older boys must have felt. Come to think of it, I would have preferred that “garlic cocktail.”Happy Birthday Suzanne and remember , as I learned the hard way, “what goes around, eventually comes around” Love: Daddy Ivan

*Copyrighted by Ivano Franco Comelli, and appears in his book “La Nostra Costa” (Our Coast) published by Authorhouse; www.authorhouse.com

2 comments:

brobinson said...

Hello Ivano Comelli,

I have been delighted to find your blog, and your book which I just bought today.

I first heard of your book from Andrew Hsu who I happened to meet while I was gathering information on the route of the old coast highway. He wrote down your name and the book title for me.

I am intrigued by the old highway, and am trying to figure out its route in the places where it is no longer visible. I've got a copy of the 1889 Hatch Map from UCSC's map library, which roughly shows it's route. Are you aware of any map that shows in detail the old coast highway route? If there is none out there, I may re-create one...

Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading your book. Thank you for writing it, and for your interesting blog updates.

Sincerely,
Bryan Robinson
Santa Cruz

Ivano Franco Comelli said...

Welcome Bryan to the 'LNostra-Costa" blagga. Norma (Dinelli) Wilson, a frequent contributor to the blog, has done a beautiful map recreation of the old Highway which includes many of the old ranches located there on. If you will contact me directly by my e-mail:
ivcomelli@arilion.com, I can give you more information.

Meanwhile,enjoy the book and please participate with us on the 'blagga' . Let us know about any new discoveries you might make along the 'old' coast Road.
BTW: What drew your interest to "La Costa"? Is it a recent discovery on your part?. Ivano