Wednesday, January 09, 2008

THE 'DAVENPORT DESTROYER' HAS A BENCH





CATHY BROVIA,THE LATE JOE BROVIA'S WIFE, WROTE THIS E-MAIL TO ME SOME MONTHS AGO. IT DESCRIBES 'LA BARRANCA PARK' IN SANTA CRUZ.

La Barranca Park is dedicated to the Italians who did something and are recognized for their contributions...

This is a park along side of Bay St., from California to Laguna St. and is dedicated to those famous Italians...

As I was driving on Bay street on my way home from a little detour from the store, I noticed a new stanchion where Centennial and Bay st. intersects.. I immediately stopped and made a U turn, and walked across, hopefully thinking Joe (Brovia) would be on that new stanchion.... LO AND BEHOLD.... he was there!!!!!! Recognizing him for his Long Home run!!!!!! Nice picture with some other very important people such as John Battistini, Julia Stefani, Lido Marietti, Al Castagnola, Judge Scoppettone, and many others...including Freddie Moro...and the committee making this all possible... I immediately called Alma Ellis, and thanked her for including my Joe, and she said the city would not allow any more, so I was so happy to think Joe got in, although Freddie Moro had told me he would be included. I believe there are 4 stanchions in all.... It is a very nice dedication to all those beautiful Italians who did so much for Santa Cruz. (I am so proud that Joe was included) Wouldn't he be proud?????????
I am sure his mother and dad would be so proud of their Guiseppi Giovanni.... (Joe's name on his Birth Certificate.)

THE STORY CONTINUES:

FOR THE LAST SEVERAL MONTHS CATHY HAS BEEN WORKING ON HER OWN WITH THE CITY OF SANTA CRUZ TO HAVE A BENCH INSTALLED IN THE PARK IN THE NAME OF HER LATE HUSBAND JOE BROVIA, THE DAVENPORT DESTROYER. 'LO AND BEHOLD' AS CATHY WOULD SAY, THE BENCH HAS FINALLY BEEN INSTALLED. I KNOW THAT CATHY DOES NOT LIKE ME TO MENTION THIS,BUT I THINK THAT IT IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THAT CATHY PAID FOR THE BENCH HERSELF. " IT IS SOMETHING I WANTED TO DO FOR MY, JOE" SHE SAYS. CONGRATULATION CATHY. A JOB WELL DONE. JOE BROVIA, 'THE DAVENPORT DESTROYER' WOULD HAVE INDEED BEEN PROUD....
OF YOU.


PHOTOS: THE INSCRIPITON ON THE BENCH READS: "IN LOVING MEMORY OF JOE BROVIA 'THE DAVENPORT DESTROYER' 1922 - 1994 SEMPRE AVANTI LOVE CATARINA" (LNOSTRA-COSTA ARCHIVES)

'SWINGING JOE BROVIA', PHOT0 OF PICTURE WHICH HANGS IN CATHY'S LIVING ROOM. (LNOSTRA-COSTA ARCHIVES C. 1950)

CATHY BROVIA RECEIVING JOE BROVIA'S PACIFIC COAST LEAGUE HALL OF FAME INDUCTION CERTIFCATE WITH MARK MACRAE (CATHY BROVIA COLLECTION SEPTEMBER 2005)

TOP PHOTO WAS TAKEN FROM A GROUP PHOTO (C.1929) AT LAGUNA, JUST SOUTH OF DAVENPORT.
A VERY YOUNG JOE 'PINO' BROVIA CAN BE SEEN AT THE CENTER ON HIS 'HAUNCHES'. JOE'S BELOVED FATHER, PIETRO 'PETE'BROVIA CAN BE SEEN AT EXTREME RIGHT HAND SIDE OF THE
PHOTO KNEELING ON ONE KNEE. CATHY SAYS THE 'SEMPRE AVANTI' ON THE BENCH IS IN HIS MEMORY. (ALVERDA ORLANDO DAVENPORT COLLECTION).

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ivano,,,,,


I had written to the Sentinel after the bench was installed to commend the two gals, Mary an
Sue for all the hard work they do, including installing the benches and stanchions in La Barranca Park...

I ran into Theresa Darling the other day, and she told me she had read my letter, and liked it and was thinking about me.

I went on to the internet on Joe Brovia.... and found the message under praiseworthy. I then saw the date was Dec. 24th, so I went back into the Sentinel, and into opinions/letters, for that day and there I found it: (WOMEN DO GOOD WORK IN LOCAL PARK)

I did not want the article especially for me, I just wanted those two gals to get some credit for all the hard work they do. I have been trying to catch them since the day they installed the bench, because I had a gift for them, along with the guy who is head of parks and rec........

I do not believe anyone truly knows who it is that keeps up that park, and also does all the installations... they (the gals) do a mans work.... and they do it well.....or even better, because it is precise.... Thank you, Thank you, Thank you. Cathy



Cathy

Anonymous said...

Nadine is the daughter of Virgina (Brovia) Giovannoni, Joe Brovia's twin sister. She sent me the following e-mail. Thanks Nadine. ivno


I have been talking to Cathy about the bench. That was such a nice thing she did for my uncle. He would be so proud. He definitely deserves the recognition because he was a star. He was a very, very good ball player. All those home runs he got came from pure talent, not like what's going on today. If it wasn't for a few bad breaks his talents would have afforded him a much better career, but life can throw a few curve balls at times. All in all in was a great baseball player, and it is so nice of Cathy to keep his legacy going.

The bench is beautiful and he would be so proud!!!

Nadine

Anonymous said...

Whoops!! Forgot to mention that Virgina, Nadine's mother, appears on the back cover of 'La Nostra Costa'. She is photographed with my father 'Bronco' in New Town, Davenport, c. 1937. ivno

Anonymous said...

Ivano,

I can't remember if I mentioned this to you or not (??) The day that the bench was to be installed, I drove over around 10:30, and did not see anyone around. (Steve Gomez had told me they would be there at 10:00). I wanted to take pictures of the gals doing the installation. I drove back over about 1:00, and there sat the bench, all neatly installed, and all the grounds were raked and left in such a neat condition.. I was so overwhelmed to think those gals got the job done in such a short time... I went by everyday looking for them to say thanks, and to give them a small Christmas gift, but never did get a chance to see them..... I wrote an e-mail to the sentinel to the opinions/letter dept. to commend those two gals, Mary and Sue, for all the hard work they do in keeping Barranca Park beautiful, and also the heavy installation of the stanchions and the benches... I did find Sue about a week ago, in a full face screen,working the weed eater in the park. I was not sure if it was the girls or someone else, because of the face cover, so I stopped and backed up, and walked over.... Sue took off her mask, and said,,, are you Cathy???, I said yes, and she said I am Sue, and she proceeded to tell me that when she walked in to work that morning at 7:00, Mary told her to go look on the bulletin board. The e-mail was posted on the board... They were both so excited, along with other employees, they all went out and bought papers for the article. One of the big wigs came down and congradulated them both personally (forgot the name). Sue said I sure made their day,,


Cathy

Anonymous said...

Thanks for putting that photo and information about the Joe Brovia commemorative bench on the blog. It's good to see my old street being
improved with that good addition.


Gino

Unknown said...

Very interesting to see how this italian family spirit is still growing there.I nearly feel my self a part of it:-)