Saturday, July 26, 2008

IT'S A KNOCKOUT!!!!

FRIULANO PRIMO CARNERA KNOCKS OUT JACK SHARKEY TO WIN THE HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP OF THE WORLD - 1933 (Photo courtesy of the 'Canadian Furlan')



Now that I have gotten your attention.......I just wanted to announce that the 'LNostra-Costa Blagga' is two years old. Yes, your old 'Blaggatore' launched it on July 27, 2006. This is my 138th posting on the 'Blagga" My how time flies when you are having fun. And yes, I have had much fun.

Originally the 'Blagga's" purpose was to publicize my book "La Nostra Costa" (Our Coast). However, it quickly developed into something much more. This was because many of you submitted articles, photos and stories about your family and friends. Without your support the 'Blagga' would have floundered. I want to especially thank: Gino 'd'Baffi' Campioni the official Italian translator for the 'Blagga', Norma Dinelli Wilson (LaNorma), who submitted numerous articles and photos relating to 'La Costa' [and also her husband Al Wilson, who took many photos at my book signings]; Doriano, the 'Canadian Furlan', historian extra-ordinarier of the Furlan culture; Thelma (Micossi) Gill, who has been my eyewitness to my boyhood memories of Davenport and 'La Costa'; Marvin Del Chiaro, my 'old' college roommate who contributed articles and photos to the 'Blagga'; Reno Cantarutti who keeps reminding me of events that occurred 'su per la costa' that I should have remembered and everyone else who sent articles or made comments. [Speaking of comments: I must not forget to thank Carolina 'Carrie' Cariola for her frequent colorful and insightful comments. Truly a delight 'Carrie'.]

Since there are 138 articles on the 'Blagga' it is sometimes difficult to 'pull' them up for display.
Here is a helpful tip. AT THE UPPER LEFT HAND (YOUR LEFT) CORNER OF THE FRONT PAGE, THERE IS A BLANK SPACE FOR SEARCHING THE BLOG. TYPE ANY WORD (FAMILY NAME, TOPIC, TOWN OR A GROUP OF DESCRIPTIVE WORDS). IF AN ARTICLE HAS BEEN WRITTEN ON IT, THE 'BLAGGA' WILL DISPLAY IT. FOR EXAMPLE; IF YOU TYPE ITALIAN DICTIONARY IN THE SPACE AND THEN 'CLICCA' SEARCH THIS BLOG, GINO'S FAMOUS ITANGLISH DICTIONARY WILL 'POP-UP' AND ALSO, AS A BONUS, HIS ITALIAN FAMILY NAME LIST.

In addition, as you probably already know, the articles published on the 'Blagga' are often picked up by the Google scrawler. As often happens, persons around the world researching family names, etc. are referred to articles on this blog. I have met several interesting people who did just that. Recently, I just heard from a 'Furlana' who lives in the Morgan Hill area. Searching the word 'Furlan' or Friulan on Google she came up with the 'Blagga' and my name. Up to that time she thought she was the only Furlan in the area. Sempre Avanti. ivn0



BTW: You still can order "La Nostra Costa" (Our Coast) through the publisher, Authorhouse, by going online at: http://www.authorhouse.com/ or order by phone at 1-888-7715. And, of course, you can order it through your favorite bookstore. I am told that it makes for a great gift and it is an excellent way to spread the word about our life 'su per la costa'.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

O mi bello Ivano: You mentioned my name on the front page of the blagga. O my. Now the Cariola name will go around the world. Maybe even google will pick it up.
Think of it. Maybe some unknown relative in Italy will contact me through your blagga. I thought that I had found one in France, however he was a Cariolaca. Maybe he was a relative several times removed. Anyway thank you, thank you for mentioning my name. And Happy Birthday Nostra Costa blagga. Ti amo molto. Carrie

Ivano Franco Comelli said...

Thank you Carrie. It's always nice to hear from you. I understand, from a mutual friend, that July 27 is also your Birthday.
Don't worry he did not reveal the year. We can only assume that you are just a wee bit older than the 'Blagga". Anyway, Happy Birthday Carrie. ivno

Anonymous said...

Hey, Ivano. How about me?? Don't you appreciate my comments. Why recognize Carolina and not me. It doesn't seem fair. P/P

Anonymous said...

THAT'S BECAUSE YOUR SUCH A POLENTA
HEAD.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about that Pat. No it's not because you're a 'polenta head'. If I had named everyone who has helped me with the Blagga over these two years, the list would be as long as Gino's Family name list.
Your comments as well as all others are always welcomed here. Keep them coming. ivano

Anonymous said...

Oh my!! Where have all the 'polenta-heads' gone.
Happy Birthday La Nostra Costa Blog. SS

Anonymous said...

Hey Pat! Without Carolina you are nothing. Besides --- being a polentahead isn't all that bad.
Johnny C.

Anonymous said...

If you ask me you're all a bunch of 'Taco Bells'. Ding Dongs!!

Anonymous said...

I t 1 t k 1. (or more)

Anonymous said...

Sorry! I don't understand Tikineese.

Ivano Franco Comelli said...

Ok then, I will take a crack at breaking the 'Tikinese' Code.

I believe that anonymous'cryptic message is refering to the other anonymous's message that we are all a bunch of "Taco Bells", ie: 'ding dongs'.

1(I)=it t=takes 1=one t=to k=know
1=one

"It takes one to know one".

h a t a(s)

Anonymous said...

Received this interesting e-mail from Gino Campioni.

Ciao Ivano,

Give that gentleman a case of Facciamara's Mazzaroni cheese! How about them apples?

BTW: Did you know that Jackie Gleason actually invented frozen pizza? That's where the above fictitious brand name came from.
Oh the trivia we Italo Americani know! (Trivia=three ways)

Gino


Very interesting. Now who invented instant Polenta?
And yes h a t a(s) = How about them
apples! Well done Gino.

ivn0

Anonymous said...

Hey GB: Johnny C. here. I didn't invent instant Polenta, but I did come up with a way to make quick Polenta using the regular Polenta meal. (You know we bachlors are always using short cuts to cook food.) Take a rather large saucer pan. Fill with two or three inches of water. Add salt to taste. Bring to steady boil and then pour in the Polenta meal, stirring as you pour to avoid all those lumps. Just add enough meal to serve one or two guests. Stir and cook until thick. Usually takes only 15 to twenty minutes. Spoon out into a dish and add your favorite pre-heated spaghetti sauce. Pour yourself a glass of Red Wine and
'Mangia'. A home cooked meal in twenty minutes or less.
I call it Johnny C's 'Polenta ala
Furia' You're all welcome. JC

Anonymous said...

To Johnny C. Tried your Polenta recipe last night. Think you should change name of Ur creative works to "True Grits".

Anonymous said...

Hey Johnny C. Try your polenta recipe with 'Chile con Carne'. My favorite is Dennison's: one can hot and one can not. Mix together and pour over your Polenta ala Furia. Si mangia bene. Blue

Anonymous said...

Dear Blue: Tried your chile con carne recipe last night. Very good.
I have named your original recipe:
"Polenta ala Scopiata". Bombs away.

By the way: What color is your other eyea. JC

Anonymous said...

Oh Johnnie. You're such a Polenta-Head. Blue

Anonymous said...

As always: i t 1 t k 1 !!

Anonymous said...

I'm interested in the Primo Carnera photo. Was that fight at Madison Square Garden? Joe

Anonymous said...

This is in response to Joe Broglio. Sorry for the delay I have been busy with helping out my famiglia. The photo with Carnera was taken June 29, 1933 in the Garden Bowl Long Island NY when Primo Knocked Out Jack Sharkey in the 6th Round for the Heavyweight Championship of the world. Now Carnera previously fought Jack Sharkey in 1931 and lost a 15th Round decision to Jack and was knocked down momentarily in the 4th. There was a lot of miss reported press about Carnera. Carnera for a BIG man was extremely agile and fast in the ring, and possessed a good left jab and counter straight right hand. When he fought Baer, defending the Championship in 1934, Carnera broke his ankle late in the first round, but continued to fight for 11 more rounds. However, due to the broken ankle he did not have any balance therefore he kept falling which in the record books they documented it as knock downs, a total of 11 knock downs were recorded until the ref stopped the fight. Another piece of interesting information Carnera was a full diabetic and near the end of his career he fought after having a kidney removed due to his diabetic condition. One other important factor Carnera was Friulano..tough as nails and as Ivano says.. Sempre Avanti!! If you need any additional boxing trivia let me know..I attend the Boxing Hall of Fame Ceremonies every year in Canastota NY...

Ciao e Mandi

Doriano

Anonymous said...

Wow! That was quick. Thanks Canada. I always thought that Primo Carnera was a big oalf. I sure was wrong. Joe

Anonymous said...

Hey Joe. I am glad I can be of help. Up here in Canada we have quite the Italian Community. There are many Italian Functions and celebrations. I currently live in the Niagara area on the border of Western NY. It takes us less than 10 minutes to cross the border to Niagara Falls NY or Lewiston NY. We have many Italian friends across the border. As a matter of fact we will be having the Raddicchio festa in November which I will be chairing. The festa is in celebration of the harvest and we have a competition for the largest Raddicchio.
Again I wish to pay my compliments to Ivano for this blagga maintaining the heritage we are so proud of.

Take care and have a good day.

Doriano