Wednesday, May 06, 2009

TOM SILVA REMEMBERED



Thomas F. Silva
Entered into rest on May 4, 2009 at the age of 71. Loving husband of 43 years to Filomena Silva of Newark. Beloved father to Ron Silva of Newark, Ken Silva of Eugene, OR, and Wayne Silva and his wife, Stacy, of Valley Glen. Cherished grandfather to Carissa, Kaitlin, and Jeremy. Treasured brother to Amelia Della Mora of Santa Cruz, Catherine Rego of Santa Cruz, Alvin Silva and his wife, Delores, of Novato, and Nelson Silva and his wife, Gloria, of Napa. Dear brother-in-law to Otilia Simas-Silva of Riverbank, and Cris Silva of Santa Cruz. Also survived by many nieces and nephews.
Born September 24, 1937 in Santa Cruz, Tom was very proud of serving in the U.S. Air Force for 20 years. He was a Vietnam Veteran. He retired from Applied Materials in Santa Clara after 20 years. Tom loved sports. He was involved in football, baseball, and track at Santa Cruz High and Monterey Peninsula College. He was a Santa Cruz High Alumni. He was a member of AARP. He loved to watch sports, he especially loved watching his children play. He adored his grandchildren. He loved to travel.
Visitation Thursday, May 7, 5-8pm with a vigil at 7pm at Fremont Chapel of the Roses, 1940 Peralta Blvd., Fremont, 94536. Funeral Mass will be celebrated Friday, May 8, 10:30am at St. Edward's Church, 5788 Thornton Avenue, Newark, 94560. Burial will follow at Holy Sepulchre Cemetery in Hayward.
Fremont Chapel of the Roses
510 797-1900

Published in the Santa Cruz Sentinel http://www.santacruzsentinel.com/



TOM SILVA WAS A MEMBER OF THE SANTA CRUZ CARDINAL FOOTBALL TEAM 1954-55. I WAS PRIVILEGED TO PLAY WITH TOM ON THAT TEAM ALONG WITH: RICHARD HAWKINS, RICHARD HAGLER, LARRY PARR, JAY DEBENEDETTI, DON AUSBURY, ED FERRELL, LANCE BEI, JERRILL KERRICK, MIKE KUFFEL, JACK SPURLOCK AND STEVE TRAYLOR. (THERE WERE OTHERS OF COURSE AND I INVITE THEM TO ADD THEIR NAMES)*. AS I RECALL ,TOM WAS NAMED SCHS CLASS OF 1955, FOOTBALL PLAYER OF THE YEAR.

THANKS FOR THE MEMORIES TOM. UNTIL WE MEET AGAIN

ACROSS 'IL ULTIMO PONTE'.

*Other seniors that I remember who were on your '54-'55 football team: Al Fehn, Jim Davis, Dave York, Bert Wagner, John Knox, Harold Barber, Larry Jones, Tom Palmer and Gary Bryan.
Len


Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

LEN K - SCHS '54 said...

Ivan,
Attached are two photos of Tom Silva I scanned this morning from the '55 Cardinal yearbook: 1] His grad picture, 2] His football picture.
I covered lightweight football that season for the Sentinel, so I saw most of the varsity games. I believe Tom was the fastest running back on your team.
Len

Ivan said...

Thanks Len;
I used the photo of Tom in his Football Uniform. I remember him best that way.
Yes, indeed, he was the fastest on our Team and probably in the whole league (although I seem to remember a Manny Lucido of Monterey being pretty fast). Tom at Halfback, teamed up with Dick Hawkins at Fullback. Dick was "mister inside" and Tom was mister outside. With those two we "should have been a contender". Unfortunately, things didn't work out that way. We won only one or two games. The next year (55-56) the Cardinals won it all. Again thanks for the photos. Ivn

JACK said...

Dear Ivano- Thank you for contacting me regarding Tom Silva's death. Could you forward the following thoughts that I had to those who received your original e-mail, as well as Tom's family members, if possible-


"I knew Tom from the 5th grade at Live Oak School, all the way through High School. We spent many hours together, playing football and playing catch on the Live Oak school ground.. Yes, Tom was the fastest of his day. I started chasing him in the 5th grade and I never did catch him! I still have a memory of him running for a long touchdown against Campbell High School in our Senior season. I was always Tom's backup and he was a natural. The greatest thing about Tom was that he didn't glory in his athletic ability. He just loved to play the game. He was quiet, but he spoke with loud actions. I was very saddened by his death. I can still remember playing football in front of his house on 7th Avenue. I would like to convey my sincere condolences to his family."

Respectfully,
Jack Spurlock.
SCHS Class of '55

ivano said...

Thanks Jack for your fine tribute to Tom. I always enjoyed talking to Tom at our SCHS Class of '55 reunions. He will be greatly missed.
BTW: How come you were a backup to Tom. I thought you were 'really fast.' Hmm??
Ivano