Friday, March 09, 2007

IMPORTANT MESSAGE RE: YOUR TELEPHONE

DON’T PRESS 90#

I RECEIVED AN E-MAIL FROM LOYE (BENTLEY) COCHRON, A SCHS GRAD, RE: A WARNING ABOUT OUR TELEPHONES.

Loye: Thanks for the heads up. Your message below is very serious business. I will make sure that my family will not press 90#. I pay enough for long distant telephone calls as it is.

Your message did remind me of a very funny story that occurred at the San Jose Police Department some years ago.

A secretary in the Detective Division received a call from a so called rep of the telephone company. He told her that they were experiencing some troubles with the telephone lines on the third floor of the Police Building (where the Detective Division was located). In order for them to "clear the clogged lines" they needed to "blow out the lines". This would necessitate for someone on the third floor to "lift off the receivers" in every office on the floor. Believing that the caller was genuine, the secretary went to every office on the third floor advising them to take their phones off the "hook". When asked "what for", she responded that the telephone company needed this to be done so that they could "blow out the lines". She was quite convincing as many did exactly that. When she got back to her own office, she found everyone there in an uproar, laughing their heads off. One of the Detectives had actually placed the "blow out the lines" call.

No the secretary was not a blond, but she was Italian. This may have had something to do with her 'diligence to duty' in this affair.


Loye’s Warning:

I dialed '0' and asked the operator who confirmed that this was correct so please pass it on... (l also checked out Snopes.com..this is true, and also applies to cell phones!)

PASS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW

I received a telephone call last evening from an individual identifying himself as an AT&T Service Technician (could also be Telus) who was conducting a test on the telephone lines. He stated that to complete the test I should touch nine(9), zero(0), the pound sign (#), and then hang up. Luckily, I was suspicious and refused.

Upon contacting the telephone company, I was informed that by pushing 90#, you give the requesting individual full access to your telephone line, which enables them to place long distance calls billed to your home phone number.

I was further informed that this scam has been originating from many local jails/prisons

DO NOT press 90# for ANYONE.

The GTE Security Department requested that I share this information with EVERYONE I KNOW.

After checking with Verizon they also said it was true, so do not dial 90# for anyone !!!!! PLEASE HIT THAT FORWARD BUTTON AND PASS THIS ON TO EVERYONE YOU KNOW!!!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

From: loye cochran
To: ivan comelli
Sent: Friday, March 09, 2007 12:56 PM
Subject: Re: I believe this to be true in certain situations


Boy ! that was a funny joke you sent me. I loved it. When I worked in silicon Valley we played jokes on each other all the time too.
You know, I just thought , maby you knew Mike Lawrey, My present hubby and I knew him quite well, He went to SJState too.
Played football there. Any way I just thought you may have met him. He was quite a joker .

Take care and know I LOVE YOUR" BOOK. I feel like I do when I watch the movie A Christmas Story, about the little boy who wants a Roy Rider b.b gun. Ever see it?

Loye: By chance, I spotted some information on Mike Lowry in our SJBA weekly bulletin. He is going to be inducted into the Los Gatos Football Hall of Fame on April 28 at the La Rinconada Country Club. Tickets are available thru the Los Gatos Athletic Assoc (408)-395 -2002.
And yes I did know Mike. How could anyone miss him.

BTW: Your e-mail and my joke made the Blagga. The publisher thought the information was important and the story quite funny.

The Christmas Story is one of my all time favorite movies. I was sadden when I learned that Darin McGavin passed away last year. In the movie, he reminded me a lot of "Bronco", especially when he went into one of his swearing and cussing episodes. -ivn0