Friday, March 02, 2007

MAESTRO TADDEO LUIGI GARGIULO E 'LA NOSTRA COSTA'

MAESTRO TADDEO LUIGI GARGIULO , BETTER KNOWN TO MUSCIANS AND FRIENDS AS THEODORE “TED” GARGIULO, WAS OUR NEIGHBOR. ALONG WITH HIS WIFE GLORIA, HE LIVED NEXT DOOR TO US ON LAS BRISAS DRIVE AT PASADERA (OFF HWY 68 IN MONTEREY). TED WAS A RENOWNED COMPOSER AND MUSCIAN. OFTEN WE WOULD HEAR HIM PLAY HIS PIANO AS HE WAS COMPOSING NEW SONGS IN HIS LIVING ROOM. MY WIFE, MILDRED AND I WILL ALWAYS REMEMBER THE BEAUTIFUL MUSIC THAT WOULD BE CREATED BY THIS WONDERFUL MAN. TED PASSED AWAY IN DECEMBER OF LAST YEAR.


Ted and I would often pass the time of day discussing world events, philosophy and religion. He would even discuss with me, a complete novice, how he composed his music. During his last year, he would say to me, “I get up in the morning and my mind is filled with music. I can not wait to get to my piano to write it down. This has never happened to me before. It is simply amazing.”

One of the things that used to bother Ted a great deal was all the violence and inhumanity that existed in the World. Ted was a deeply religious man, however; he was also an intellectual. He was not afraid to question things that really were not quite clear. He often posed the following question to me. “Ivan, how can there be a God with all this violence, famine and inhumanity in world? A just and benevolent God would never allow it to exist.”

I would always answer, “Ted, we will find the answer to those questions when we cross over to the hereafter.” Ted would then retort, “How can you be sure that there is a hereafter.”

Of course Ted believed in God. But he was searching for answers to those questions we often ask ourselves in order to gain some reassurance of our own religious beliefs.

As I was nearing the completion of “La Nostra Costa”, I often thought of these conversations with Ted. My mind began to create the scenario in the book where the overburdened “Young Rancere” questions the very existence of a Deity. In ‘A Rancere’s Lament’, at the beginning of the book, he challenges his God by posing the following question: “O God, if you are up there, why don’t you wave your hand, and make things better for me?” In return, he gets a rather superficial answer – because he (the Rancere) lives “su per la costa –not heaven?”

Having finished “A Rancere’s Lament”, I realized that I needed an ending to the book that would be in sync with the “Rancere’s Lament”. I kept thinking of my discussions with Ted. I then started to put down my thoughts (and hopes) of what the hereafter might be like. Thus; in “Il Ultimo Ponte”, we find the Rancere; now very old, standing before a wooden bridge. The bridge, of course, symbolizes the very “crossing-over” that I had discussed with Ted. Once across the bridge, the Rancere, realizes that his life was really worth while.

I remember thinking, “Boy, won’t Ted be surprised when he reads this?”

Soon after publishing “La Nostra Costa” I presented Ted and Gloria with a copy of the book. I remember telling Ted, “Make sure that you read ‘Il Ultimo Ponte’ at the end. I wrote it with you in mind.” It took him a while, but on one of my visits he informed me that he had just read it. The following is his comments as best I can remember them..

“Ivan it is beautiful. The whole episode is simply beautiful. You created something wonderful. You should be proud of what you wrote.” Then smiling at me with his wonderful smile and looking me straight in the eye, he added, “I hope you are right.”

Adio Maestro “Ted”. I am looking forward to hearing you once again, create beautiful music across “Il Ultimo Ponte.” Ivano




LNC: THE FOLLOWING E-MAIL WAS SENT BY FRANCA GARGIULO, TED’S DAUGHTER.


----- Original Message -----
From: Franca Gargiulo
To: 'ivan comelli'
Sent: Saturday, February 24, 2007 6:46 PM
Subject: FW: Dad Gargiulo's August 15 recording session for Tehama


Dear Friends:

I thought you all might enjoy the short music video of my Father’s last conducting session and composition that was written for Tehama, Clint Eastwood’s new golf and home development in Monterey. This ad footage will appear on their website. Terrence (LNC: Ted’s son) is singing and Daddy appears at the very end. This recording session (you really don’t see the full orchestra) took place on August 15.

As I look at all these tools so easily at our disposal, I have to chuckle over the fact that when my father first started his musical career, all they had was the old Victor phonograph!

Let us know what you think and please don’t be shy about giving it a rating!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhjDdo2OfJE

Franca


Video results for '"tehama monterra"'


if (navigator.appName.indexOf('Microsoft') != -1) {
document.write('');
}
else {
document.write('');
}



Tehama Monterra Music Video04:45
Music video of original song written, scored, and conducted by the late Maestro Theodore Gargiulo, lyrics and vocals by Terrence Gargiulo, The video showcases the natural beauty of Monterey, California and features shots of Tehama/Monterra Music video of original song written, scored, and conducted by the late Maestro Theodore Gargiulo, lyrics and vocals by Terrence Gargiulo, The video showcases the natural beauty of Monterey, California and features shots of Tehama/Monterra - more information on can be found on www.makingstories.net (more) (less)
Tags:
music musicvideo beautiful song Monterey ClintEastwood Gargiulo beach ocean orchestra vocals
Added: 1 day ago in Category: MusicFrom: WendliteViews: 2

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I have a very old pc with no audio capability.

I watched the video portion and it was great; I'm
sure it would be extra special with the audio.

Ted was not the only one who questions why a "just
God" would allow so much horror in the world. But is
it God's fault or man's whom He has given free will?

Man is capable of creating both good and bad. As
much as the US is condemned today, there is no country in history that has, as a nation or people,
been so giving and so tolerant (I know there are
exceptions)as Americans.

And by the way, the Catholic Church has had its share
of evil in the world, even to this day with the
sexual abuse cases all over.

Jerry
LNC: Thanks Jerry. Sorry you couldn't hear the performance. It was special. Yours is indeed a profound statement. In fact, I would use your argument (ie: evil of man vs. the goodness of God)in my conversations with Ted. He would answer me in a humorous fashion, always with a big smile on his face, "Then why doesn't God just "Zap" the evil persons with goodness. He did that with (St)Paul."

Ted would always be one up on me, but always with that smile on his face. ivn0

Anonymous said...

Ted has a good point about St. Paul! Today, we have
Mother Teresa as one who helps us follow the straight
way. But,alas, she helped share the existing
economic pie, whereas someone like Bill Gates or
Thomas Edison or Henry Ford or even Amadeo Giannini,
founder of BofA, who all expanded the size of the
economic pie so more could get out of poverty, which
is frequently, but not always, a source of frictionamong people.

Anyway, you were truly fortunate to have known Ted.
He must have been quite an interesting individual
filled with a sense of humanity.

LNC: He certainly was that Jerry, and I was indeed fortunate to have Ted as a friend. And I think he would have liked you also. Ivno

Anonymous said...

If you haven't already done so, I highly recommend that all 'Blagga Fans' go to the link recommended by Franca in her e-mail. It is really terrific. Unfortunately, there is only a "snapshot" segement of "Il Maestro" conducting. His music, however, can be heard throughout the video. "Bravo Maestro. Until we meet again across 'Il Ultimo Ponte'
ivn0

Ivano Franco Comelli said...

Earlier I recommended to Hank Bradly that he go to the following link to hear some Italian songs:http://italiasempre.com/verita/lapennanera1.htm. In this way he could practice them on his fiddle. He wrote back the following e-mail. Ivno

Anonymous said...

Hi Ivano,

Man, La Penna Nera is SO Adriatic. In my humble opinion that style must have started on the west side of the pond in Italy, but there are mobs of singers on the east side (Dubrovnik, Korchula, Split) who use the same sounds but sing in Croatian - I've done it myself now and then when the performers lack good singers. They call it 'klapa' style (a klapa is a men's singing club). Many thanks for the link, and I'm rooting around for "Quel Mazzoline d'fiori" this morning. I may be 60 years behind the times but I'll catch up you guys on la costa one of these days.
Cheers,

LNC: Hank, 'La Penna Nera' is a canto of the "Alpini" Italy's famous Army of Mountineers who wear a black feather in their hats. "Su Il Ponte di Bassano" was also one of their songs. This song, along with the discussions I had with Maestro "Ted", inspired "Il Ultimo Ponte" in "La Nostra Costa". Both these songs were sung by "Bronco" as he worked the field 'su per la costa'.
Sempre Avanti. ivn0

Anonymous said...

Ivan
Your messages are beautiful ......Thank you for sharing their messages
You have quite an interesting group on your Blog ...... Yes ... Ted was
filled with humanity .... Compassion and love for his fellow man.....
Mille grazie
Allegro con brio
gg

Anonymous said...

Ivan -- I have tears in my eyes...this is such a beautiful tribute to Daddy, we would be honored to have you share this with others. Many thanks!



much love, Franca